Thread takes waste from the poorest places in the world and transforms it into jobs and useful products that people love. Since 2012, Thread has moved more than 38.9 Million plastic bottles from Haiti and Honduras, supporting more than 3,800 income opportunities. We turn some of these bottles into fabric (it’s pretty cool!) and are excited to bring the final step of cutting and sewing Thread fabric into Thread products in Homewood, a neighborhood in Pittsburgh, PA.
The Role: Thread is looking for an experienced designer for both apparel and accessory design who is ready to work in a collaborative environment with our merchant and sourcing teams. This position is responsible for creating on-trend designs that are consistent with the brand strategy of the company. They will also be expected to develop new ideas and create sketches, while overseeing design samples throughout the development process.
Type: Full Time
Location Pittsburgh, PA
Minimum Experience: 3+ Years working in Apparel and/or Accessory Design, strong proficiency in Adobe with an excellent, diverse portfolio to prove it.
- Develop designs from inception to production, including color, theme, silhouette, etc.
- Maintain knowledge of the current market to identify trends: color, fabric, pattern, silhouette, etc.
- Present seasonal trend research reports.
- Responsible for building tech pack and line sheets, maintaining accuracy and providing design feedback to production floor and factory partners.
- Ensure design briefs are followed through in accordance with seasonal guidelines.
- Research and coordinate raw materials and trims for approval; maintain fabric/trim library.
- Review lab dips, observe and assist with fit process; keep detailed notes.
- Work with Product Development team to create samples.
- Have a strong taste level and ability to develop innovative designs with a deep understanding of brand aesthetics.
- At least 3+ years’ experience in Apparel and/or Accessory Design
- Bachelor’s Degree in Fashion Design
- Sewing & Patterning experience are a plus
- Ability to stay organized in a fast-paced environment
- Project management skills
- Proficiency in Adobe & Office Suite
- Submit your resume and a cover letter explaining why you’re a great fit for this role and Thread.
- Include links to your portfolio and any amazing work you want out team to obsess over.