Thread takes waste from the poorest places in the world and transforms it into jobs and useful products that people love. Since 2012, Thread has moved more than 38.9 Million plastic bottles from Haiti, Honduras, and Taiwan supporting more than 3,800 income opportunities. We turn these bottles into fabric. Now, we are preparing to launch as a direct-to-consumer fashion essentials brand using our & other sustainable fabrics. We are excited for you to be part of the journey.
The Role: Thread is looking for an experienced & multi-faceted apparel designer, specializing in Men’s and Women’s contemporary. This position is responsible for initiating concepts relevant to each category & creating designs that are consistent with the brand strategy of the company. You will be a self-starter who thrives in a start-up environment and ready to work collaboratively with our merchandising & sourcing team. You will develop new ideas and create sketches, while overseeing design samples & details and ensuring garment integrity throughout the development process. This is a temp contract position, with the opportunity to grow into a bigger role for the right candidate. Thread’s offices are in Pittsburgh. Depending on your location, this will be a remote position with scheduled in-person design & development meetings in Pittsburgh and/or New York.
Location New York, NY or Pittsburgh, PA
Minimum Experience:5+ Years working in Apparel Design, strong proficiency in Adobe with an excellent, diverse portfolio to prove it.
- Lead the translation of brand aesthetic to apparel
- Create sketches and oversee product prototypes throughout the design & development process
- Partner with merchandising & brand to refine seasonal concept & color palette
- Create design flats, pattern layouts, tech packs and other product-related artwork
- Maintain knowledge of the current market to identify trends: color, fabric, pattern, silhouette
- Track & lead the coordination & approval of proto samples
- Assist in fit process, or run fittings if expertise allow
- Review & approve lab dips
- Strong taste level and ability to develop innovative designs with a deep understanding of brand aesthetics
- At least 5+ years’ experience in Apparel Design
- Bachelor’s Degree in Fashion Design or creative field
- Tech Design and/or Patterning experience are a big plus
- Ability to stay organized in a fast-paced environment
- Project management skills
- Proficiency in Adobe & Office Suite
- Knowledge/experience in Sustainable Fashion is a plus
- Click APPLY to submit your resume and a cover letter explaining why you’re a great fit for this role and Thread.
- Include links to your portfolio and any amazing work you want our team to obsess over.